Practical Ed Tech Tip of the Week – Three Free Speech-to-Text Tools
Last week during Practical Ed Tech Live I answered a request for free speech-to-text tools. If you missed the broadcast, I suggested Dictation.io and Dictanote Speech Recognizer. If you’re a Google Docs user, there is a built-in speech-to-text tool that you can use.
On Dictation.io you can simply click “start dictation” then start having your voice transcribed into a text document. No registration is required in order to use Dictation.io. More than two dozen languages are support on Dictation.io. The video embedded below provides a demonstration of Dictation.io.
In Google Docs you can access the speech-to-text tool from the “tools” menu. In the short video below I demonstrate how to use it.
The Dictanote Speech Recognizer app is available for free through the Chrome Web Store. To use the Dictanote Speech Recognizer just install it from the Chrome Web Store, launch it, then click the microphone to start taking and recording your voice. The Speech Recognizer will type out your text when you finish recording. You can then copy and paste your text to the paragraph box below the Speech Recognizer or to a document you have open in Google Docs.
Here are the week’s most popular posts from FreeTech4Teachers.com:
1. GE Teach Tour Builder – Create Google Earth Tours for the Web
2. 10 Math Tutorial YouTube Channels Not Named Khan Academy
3. This Online Audio Editor Is Beautiful
4. Two Free Speech-to-Text Tools
5. Create Your Own Google Classroom – G Suite Not Required
6. Story Cubes – Templates to Help Students Plan Stories
7. Getting Going With G Suite – An Online Course
Looking for a keynote or workshop? Click here to learn about my professional development services.
Five Practical Ed Tech online courses are starting this week.
- Getting Going With G Suite is a five week course that offers a graduate credit option.
- Teaching History With Technology is a three week course for middle school and high school social studies teachers.
- Blogs & Social Media for Teachers and School Leaders is a three week course that walks you through how to create blogs and use social media to engage your community.
- Practical Ed Tech Jumpstart is the course for anyone who has looked at the educational technology landscape and wondered, “where do I start?”
- Finally, by request, I am offering from Blog to Job – A Teacherpreneur Jumpstart.