10 Things to Learn and Do at the Practical Ed Tech Summer Camp
Even though the ground is covered in snow at my house, I’m already getting excited to welcome people to western Maine for the 2019 Practical Ed Tech Summer Camp. People from three states have registered so far and, if it’s like previous years, we’ll have people from all over North America by the time registration closes. If you’re thinking about coming, here’s a brief overview of what you can learn and do while you’re here.
10 Things You Can Learn
1. Helping students develop better search skills.
2. Using augmented reality in education.
3. Using virtual reality in education.
4. Infusing technology into outdoor lessons.
5. Making videos with students.
6. Producing podcasts with students.
7. Interactive digital storytelling.
8. Crafting meaningful formative assessments.
9. Creating a plan to make the most of the technology you have in your school.
10. Workflow hacks to free up time to take care of yourself throughout the school year.
10 Fun Things to Do
The schedule of the Practical Ed Tech Summer Camp makes it possible for you and your family to enjoy the beauty of rural, western Maine. Here are ten things you can do while staying in Bethel, Maine.
- Hike a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. A fifteen-minute drive will put you at the trailhead for two sections of the Appalachian Trail including a stretch that takes you up to Table Rock (pictured above).
- Fly fish for rainbow trout, brook trout, and brown trout in a blue-ribbon stretch of the Androscoggin River that runs through Bethel and the neighboring town of Gilead.
- Adventure a little further north and explore the Rapid River and Pond in the River. The Pond and the River are the setting for the classic, We Took to the Woods.
- Hit the links at the Bethel Inn & Resort, the host of this year’s Practical Ed Tech Summer Camp.
- Try the other award-winning course in the area at the Sunday River Resort in neighboring Newry.
- Bring your mountain bike or rent one locally to explore the new trails that connect to the Bethel Inn & Resort.
- Taste some of the local craft beer (Maine has more breweries per capita than all over states).
- Paddle on one of the local lakes.
- Look for moose early in the morning or at dusk along route 16 through Grafton Notch.
- Just chill out and watch the sunset over beautiful western Maine.