For good reasons Wikispaces is a popular service for creating classroom wikis. Wikispaces is easy to use and free for teachers. Over the summer Wikispaces made it easier than ever to get students to join a classroom wiki. You can now have student join wikis through class codes. This means that instead of having to send invitations to students, students join your wikis through a code that you give to all of them. Give your students the join code for a wiki and they can use it to join your wiki without the need for you to approve memberships. In the video below I demonstrate how to create class codes in Wikispaces.
To be clear, students will still need to have Wikispaces accounts in order to participate in your wiki.
The most popular posts of the week on Free Technology for Teachers:
1. Frequently Overlooked Google Search Tools and Strategies
2. How to Create Trading Cards for Historical and Fictional People, Places, and Events
3. How to Share Materials By Using Files and Folders on Google Sites
4. Comics in the Classroom – Webinar Recording
5. CK-12 Introduces Dozens of Interactive Physics Simulations
6. Resources for Teaching About the Sights and Sounds of Autumn
7. ContextU – A Good Digital Textbook on the American Revolution